Re: Simple contests

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 23:26:09 +0200

Jeff Kyer:

> > Not necessarily a good solution: extended contests only make
> > sense for situations which are processes (which take time) and
> > can be described as such. An instantaneous magic effect is
> > better represented with a simple contest IMO, so the result
> > level is important.
>
> Or ones that are crucial to the plot. Onesthat deserve to be fleshed
> out. Or they are new things a hero is trying to do. We did our first
> few heroquests with crossing the barrier as an extended contest -- just
> to get the feel of it and do some good roleplay. Now, we do a simple
> check...

Crossing the barrier could definitely be envisioned as a process, so that's a good use for extended contests, as are debates, combat, seduction, horse races etc. But for an instantaneous effect, like leaping across a chasm, casting a light spell, determining the correct direction to sail towards etc I wouldn't use extended contests no matter how crucial they are in the scenario as I can't see how to narrate the flow of the contest. But that's of course a matter of taste.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com