Re: Lapsing worship

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 03:10:50 -0000

> Hmm... specific example... in her 'previous incarnation' in RQ3, a
> character of mine was a Pavic thief. With the recent appearance of
> Lambril (and Orlanth the Thief, but that's too combat-oriented for
> her), I wondered if I could reuse that idea, as I have an excellent
> plot to explain why she got out of Pavis over to Dragon Pass.
However,
> in transplanting her to our fledgling HW campaign, it's unlikely she
> can reach a Lambril temple on a regular basis (assuming they exist
> only in cities).

Lambril would be a bit of a speical case but it IS a city oriented cult. However, if she goes to town regularly as part of the clan's trading group, then that's assured. She only has to disappear for a little while.

I'd say Lanbril exists where he wants to but I'd also say he likes cities... =)

> >Greg said 'if you're stuck in that sort of a
> >time bind, as soon as you miss a major holy day, kiss them good
bye'
> >but the conversation was about Devotees who are also initiates.
>
> She would only be an Initiate of Lambril, but has become an Initiate
> in Yinkin as a 'cover'.

Initiation is a pretty deep thing in HW, I should point out. Its a matter of faith and bring drawn to the gods. I'd be surprised if you could use an initation as mere 'cover.' And Yinkin is pretty rare too.
 Their shrines are hardly common -- few and far between (but if your clan has one, then hey, its as good a port as any)

> >However sacrifice of permanent wealth (cows, etc) and proper
mythology
> >and ritual would probably keep a character in a good odour.
>
> Lambril don't like sacrifices, but I might fool some players into
> thinking she's a Trickster and please him that way...

What? He doesn't like you giving him shiny things as thanks? He doesn't like getting something for nothing? A selfish guy like him?

> >And, IMHO,
> >anyone who heroquests successfully has made a very deep and lasting
> >contact with that deity
>
> She's nowhere near HQ level as yet however...

HeroQuesting in HW is not the terrifying experience it used to be. Especially if you use friends and have a good community to back you.

Jeff