Re: Four Magic Weapons subcults

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 01:42:52 +0200

David Dunham:
>Has anyone given thought to how to convert the Four Magic Weapons of Orlanth?

Yes, but as it turns out my thoughts on this are almost exactly the same as yours. ;-)

Jeff Kyer:
>My own impression is that a
>subcult that provides an affinity is about 10% of your time but one
>that provides a simple feat is subsumed into your current worship.

I've been thinking along even more generous lines: as long as you don't bother with the subcult's Mythology or other skills, and forego the option to learn its Secret, it costs 0 time.

>However, if the Hero went on the Lightning Spear heroquest or the
>Scarf of Mist heroquest and gain a full affinity as they hav ea much
>better contact with the source material and item.

Interesting. I had been thinking that such a quest would just give you a big boost in the relevant ability rating, but that has the potential to be unbalancing.

>I think that Lightning Boy is a part of the Praxian spiritual array
>and not a part of the Storm Pantheon.

There's an entity of that name in both. Whether or not they're the same being I couldn't say.

Mark Mohrfield:
><An alternate approach is to consider them all one affinity. I think
>this is wrong, since they aren't really related.>
>
>I disagree. They might not be related mechanically, but they're
>related mythologically. Many of the affinities given in Hero Wars
>have feats which are not obviously related

I disagree. :-) This might be a bit esoteric, but I think that all feats in a deity's core affinities are in some way a reflection of that god's identity. The magic weapons are just stuff that Orlanth picked up along the way. And AFAIK the myths about them aren't interrelated, at least not in plot. I do believe they're related in symbolism (Orlanth besting the Old Elements), though.

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg