Re: Four Magic Weapons subcults

From: markmohrfield <markmohrfield_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 02:49:52 -0000

David Dunham
><An alternate approach is to consider them all one affinity. I think
>this is wrong, since they aren't really related.>

Me:
>I disagree. They might not be related mechanically, but they're
>related mythologically. Many of the affinities given in Hero Wars
>have feats which are not obviously related

Jonas Schiott
>I disagree. :-) This might be a bit esoteric, but I think that all
>feats
>in a deity's core affinities are in some way a reflection of that
>god's
>identity. The magic weapons are just stuff that Orlanth picked up
>along
>the way. And AFAIK the myths about them aren't interrelated, at
>least not
>in plot. I do believe they're related in symbolism (Orlanth besting
>the
>Old Elements), though.

Well, without knowing the whole story we don't know that the myths aren't related. I could easily imagine them being a part of a cycle, "How Orlanth proved that he was the ruler of all the Elements" or something like that. Even if they aren't, I think that the related symbolism is good enough a reason to group them under the same affinity. Too continue my earlier example, it's unlikely that Urvairinus used his Pierce Trolls and Spit Down Wind in the same myth, but they're still in the same affinity. Then again I suppose there might be a "How Urvairinus defeated all the foes of Dara Happa" myth, to.

                                                     Mark Mohrfield