Re: Four Magic Weapons subcults

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:34:21 -0000

> Jeff Kyer:
> >My own impression is that a
> >subcult that provides an affinity is about 10% of your time but
one
> >that provides a simple feat is subsumed into your current worship.
>
> I've been thinking along even more generous lines: as long as you
don't
> bother with the subcult's Mythology or other skills, and forego the
> option to learn its Secret, it costs 0 time.

There is no option to forgo learning a secret -- you can only learn a secret if you are a devotee. Though in the case of the 4MW, I'd be be
curoius to see what it is. This is one reason why I think of them as stand alone feats, one for each subcult. THe secret might be getting them as an affinity or something similar. These things are about as minor as it can get for a divine cult to be.

> >However, if the Hero went on the Lightning Spear heroquest or the
> >Scarf of Mist heroquest and gain a full affinity as they hav ea
much
> >better contact with the source material and item.
>
> Interesting. I had been thinking that such a quest would just give
you a
> big boost in the relevant ability rating, but that has the
potential
> be unbalancing.

I have some rules we've playtested for going on quests for your own aggrandizment and the increased benifits will post them as soon as I can get them in electronic format.

But basically, I'd give designated hp towards the affinities in the quest depending on the success level. Remember, with magical affinities being so hard to raise, a HQ is a good way and reasonable to raise it several points in one session. This would reflect that heroquests are/become powerful magicians.

Perhaps +1 per level of success OVERALL in the HQ would be added to the affinity. Eg, Minor success with "Orlanth Beats The Crap Out of Yelmalio" might give a +2 with Combat Affinity. A Complete Success with "Ernalda Gets Her Man To Do Her Bidding" would give a +4 in Find Another Way, and so on.

Giving a higher level of access, such as in an affinity neatly sidesteps the issue by giving them a new ability which is more flexible -- and cheaper to raise on an overall basis. I would proably
award the affinty at 3/4 the level of the highest of the individual feats or 13, whichever is greater and subsume all 4 feats into this new affinity.

> >I think that Lightning Boy is a part of the Praxian spiritual
array
> >and not a part of the Storm Pantheon.
>
> There's an entity of that name in both. Whether or not they're the
same
> being I couldn't say.

Hmmm. Are you sure? Consensus had been pretty much that Lightning Boy was a Praxian critter and the Lighting Spear was the Orlanthi thing.

> I disagree. :-) This might be a bit esoteric, but I think that all
feats
> in a deity's core affinities are in some way a reflection of that
god's
> identity. The magic weapons are just stuff that Orlanth picked up
along
> the way. And AFAIK the myths about them aren't interrelated, at
least not
> in plot. I do believe they're related in symbolism (Orlanth besting
the
> Old Elements), though.

This makes some sense. Of course, a heroquest would unite the significance. If a player was willing to ake the risk of doing a HQ for such a relatively obscure benifit.

Jeff