Re: feats; G&S; Xena

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 13:16:23 -0700

David wrote

> > >Would you really guess,for example, that Pierce Trolls and
> >>Spit Down Wind belong in the same affinity (Urvairness) if you
> >> didn't know the story of how those things were regarded by >>
> >> Dara Happans?
>
> >> Which myth are these feats based on ?
>
> >The same myths as all the Vinga feats: ones you get to write.
>
>I assumed from Marks comment that this story actually existed if it
>does not more fool me. I am going to print this thread out and
>show it to some people who where unsure about HW and see if
>this helps make up their minds.

I yield to your mighty salesmanship.

But I still don't see why you need to care that the specific feats are in the same affinity. And you certainly don't need to know to story of Urvairanus or any other myth to use an affinity or a feat, or to play Hero Wars. This sort of thing has certainly never come up in the 2 years or so of playtesting we did.

The number of actually written down Gloranthan myths is amazingly small, as I'm sure I've said on this list before. For example, I have never seen a myth about Vinga by Greg Stafford.

Jeff wrote

>Gilbert and Sulivan on the other hand, seems about
>right. (I am the very model of a Frontier Lunar Governor...)

I first met HW editor Roderick Robertson when he and his wife Ellen were running a Gilbert & Sullivan RuneQuest game at a convention...

As for Xena, I'm told that my Vinga follower Nallindia <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/dawnAge/nallindia.html> had a lot in common with her. I haven't seen enough to know. The point is that the types of things Xena characters do is in line with the types of things Hero Wars characters can do. By comparison, a cop show or an operating room show would be a bad analog.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein