Re: Initiation

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 09:21:25 -0400

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:

> > For heortling youth, this may in part involves a visit to the Other
> > Side, an encounter with Second Son, and participation in IFoughtWeWon.
>
> I-Fought-We-Won, aka unitiy battle, roger. Trip to other side, roger.
>
> But I'm afraid I don't recognize the "Second Son". Who does this refer
> to?

He's the guy who teaches you about just HOW to win the IFWW. Second Son of Vingkot-whos-name-escapes-me.

> I think the unity battle is a crucial factor for the heortling
> initiation (and warrior aldryami, and some trolls). It keeps the
> Orlanthi attitude and courage against chaos strong. Every adult
> heortling has faced chaos and the end of the world. The memories are
> hazy, but the core of courage and determination is there, in all of
> them.
>
> -Adept

Yes. The struggle against chaos and proving that you can survive is the crux of initiation. After that, you're an adult. Before that, you are an untested child. After the IFWW, you can be trusted and are ready to learn more.

Jeff