Re: close combat and ranged combat

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 10:24:40 -0000

Nothing wrong with that if they don't have a more specific skill. I like to give my characters a Dodge ability, and I'd say improving CC after using it in this way only would be Unrelated (but getting a new Dodge skill would be related).

The
> penaltly would be about -3 if you had a shield, more if you didn't
> say -5 against javelins, -7 against arrows (dodging).

Pity HW doesn't specify different kinds/sizes of shield. A 'target' shield is barely bigger than your chest, whereas the roman-style tower shields were excellent at stopping missiles. Also, note that the farther you are from an archer or javeliner, the easier it is to dodge, as you see the missile approach. Of course, it's also hidden against the sky, above the eyeline, and anyway the archer gets a penalty for long range shooting... so maybe that's not important.

> table for defeat levels which reflects the defeat of an archer show
> is not actually in contact. Something along the lines of dazed -
> runs away; minor defeat runs away and future actions at -1 penalty
> until archer reahes safety; major defeat runs away and future
actions
> at -50% until reaches safety; complete defeat runs away in blind
> panic unable to defend/attack in contests until safety reached

I wouldn't combine missile and resulting melee as one action, but would apply the missile results to the melee, with reset AP. I'd say Dazed means his arm got tired, or he ran out of arrows. He's standing waiting for the attacker, but not ready for the first exchange. Minor defeat means he's desperately grabbing for a melee weapon, but is at - 1 for the melee due to fatigue drawing & loosing arrows. Major defeat means he's at 50% ability due to fatigue, unreadyness & morale loss, Complete Defeat means he surrenders or legs it.

After all that, however, I'm actually happier playing out a missile duel as a series of Simple Contests anyway, each one represents about 10 seconds or so (about as fast as a reasonable archer can shoot one arrow).

Wulf