Re: Problem with a ranged combat...

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 12:55:08 -0000

If by 'harm' you mean AP loss, yes, I agree (obviously the arrow is highly unlikely to actually wound more than one). Try this:

Apply a suitable penalty to the archer hitting the intended target. Maybe the multipe attack panalties would be suitable, -3 per extra potential target in line of shot. If it still hits, well and good. If not, have all the others roll a defence (no action required), modified for multiple attackers (likely as the archer would be a secondary attack in a melee) and such. The worst roll loses AP, but the Narrator should choose whether to inflict a wound. However, EVERYONE potentially a target should lose an AP or two, I'd say 3 AP, the minimum, if they failed whatever roll they made to defend.

Admittedly, this assumes a use of Ranged Combat uses only 1 arrow, but it does the job.

Wulf