Re: Re: close combat and ranged combat

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 09:35:13 -0400

philip.hibbs_at_... wrote:

> >Pity HW doesn't specify different kinds/sizes of shield.
>
> The (a) way to handle that would be improv modifiers - Lunar shields are
> large, -3 modifier, Orlanthi shields are smaller, -5 modifier. Or whatever.

Actually, my own experience with running a game for the past six months has been that allowing Close Combat to work on Ranged combat attacks makes Close Combat *far* too useful -- particuarly with some folks advocating that they can use Close combat to dodge or deal with incoming magic.

I'm much more partial to a separate skill such as dodge missile or or a VERY hefty improv penalty to close combat (and if you weren't doding, you'd practically have to have a shield to hide behind). Our experiences when the resident humakti was allowed to use his Sword and Shield ability against incoming missiles as very sobering as he could eat them like popcorn.

That being said, I find that the modifier based differing shield sizes is a good idea, though. Particularly for hoplites advancing against missle fire. I could allow Close combat to work, but I am reminded of the VERY effective and effecient Roman Tetsudo formation (tortoise) in which the soldiers locked their shields and formed a mobile 'turtle' It wasn't much good if you charged them but it was very good for weathering archery, especially when advancing in a siege.

I'd probably allow Shield Wall fighting or Hoplite Fighting to ward against missles nicely, perhaps with only a -3 penalty.

Jeff