Re: Gloranthan Reality & Hero Wars

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:22:14 +0100

>You ... still have a character who makes a choice
>(how much asking for a spell) based on OCC knowledge.
>And there are other instances, no? Like asking your
>temple if they could teach you a Bladesharp 3, because
>you have just enough Free INT. OK, it's daft, I agree,
>but IMO there is less mingling between IC and OCC in
>HW than in RQ.

I only know one RQ player/referee who fervently believes (or used to) that characters in Glorantha would notice the transition from RQ3 to RQ4, because they were capable of doing more or less than they previously could. How many spells per 10 seconds, how interesting Spirit Combat was, that they could not cast a spell beyond 100m any more, etc. So I suppose you are making a valid point, there are some people that confuse game mechanics with Gloranthan Reality, and that Hero Wars is in and of itself less conducive to that problem. Such a person would still make the same conclusions from HW though, I think, and would make an even bigger deal of the change in their character's perceptions from RQ3 to HW, and would agonise in-character over the radical change in the world.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.