Re: Crystals

From: Stephen Watson <stephen_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 18:23:08 +0100

In that finely crafted message <v04210108b5af3b4bb08d_at_[204.182.124.21]>

         David Dunham <david_at_...> wrote::

> Ian asked
>
> > Anyone had any thoughts on how to convert that old RQII/Elder Secrets
> > staple magic crystals - the blood of the gods - to HW.
>
> I suspect you're asking for something more rulesy, but back in
> playtesting, we would have written "God-blood Crystal 13" on the
> character sheet and used it as seemed appropriate.

I've done a fairly literal conversions and put it at <URL:http://www.kerofin.demon.co.uk/hw/crystals.htm> but for those of you who, like me, read this list offline:

Blood of the Gods: Magic Crystals

Adapting magic crystals to Hero Wars. This is based on the information in the Secrets book of Elder Secrets, page 36 onwards.

Dead crystals

Dead crystals have no power of their own, but can store magical power for its owner. Each crystal has a Might related to its size, typically 13 for one which can be comfortably held in a mans fist. It provides Action Points equal to its Might for use in a magical contest, but the owner must spend a day or so to recharge the crystal.

Live crystals

Live crystals supply their own power but must first be attuned. The crystal has a Might which can be related to their size, but some crystals have a Might greater than their size might indicate.

Attuning to a crystal

A magician can only be attuned to one crystal at a time. To become unattuned either:

To attune to a crystal the magician must spend a full day in meditation on the crystal, then defeat the crystal's Might with his will. The ability used to defeat the Might of the crystal may be a mental skill related to will power, spirit combat or a magical ability.

Types of live crystal

The powers of a live crystal depend on its type. The Narrator can either roll randomly for type on the table on page 38 of the Secrets book, or simply choose one.

Chaotic

Slime Stones, Evil Rocks, Thed Stones.

These may appear to behave as other types of crystal, or may have some other power entirely. Those attuned to chaotic crystals have the chaotic taint. It is the Narrators decision if the taint remains if the crystal is deattuned.

Combination

These crystals have a single Might which must be overcome when attuning, but is split into two or more Mights when determining the effectiveness of the crystals powers. There is no reason why the split should be even.

Enhancing

Nipple Stone, Selfdrill, Esrolian Ruby, Mhy Magic Is, Akim's Stone, Arroin's Tears, Chalana's Blessings.

These crystals provide a bonus equal to 1/4 of their Might to magic of a particular type, such as Combat, Detection, Healing, etc. It is believed that the type of magic enhanced is related to the affinities provided by the diety that the blood of the crystal came from.

Reinforcing

Smoke Rocks, Snake Crystals, Pakbaks.

These provide an attacking edge equal to 1/2 the Might of the crystal in magical contests.

Strengthening

Arrow Points, Barnablood, Darnagshoot.

These provide Action Points equal to the crystals Might for use in a magical contest. The APs can be used once per day.

Resisting

Gatasave, Ernalda's Tears.

These provide an defensive edge equal to 1/2 the Might of the crystal in magical contests.

Spirit supporting

Ghost Shields, Grandpa's Age.

These provide a bonus to Spirit Combat equal to 1/4 of the crystals Might.

Flawed

Joke stones, Choke Stones, Smoke Stones.

These are similar to one of the other types of crystal, but with some flaw. This flaw may be beneficial, inconvenient or even hazardous. It may render the crystal useless.

--
Stephen Watson <URL:http://www.kerofin.demon.co.uk/> Glorantha & RISC OS
"I made it all up, and it all came true anyway."