Re: archery; crystals

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 16:05:52 -0000

philip hibbs wrote:

> >Range for missile weapons can roughly figured by dividing the
> >initial encounter range by the AP of the ranged weapon user,
>
> Yuck. That means that no matter how far away you are, it is equally
> difficult to get up close and personal. It also involves maths
> geekiness and pseudo-simulatonism.

I added a way to figure range for people who would want to use the rules for range with ranged weapons. Once you have figured out the AP to yards ratio, figuring the range at any point is just a case of mutliplying the remaining AP by the figure i.e. 1AP = 3 yards 2o AP = 60 yards, 15 AP = 45 yards. However you can always ignore this and just concntrate on getting the archers AP to 0 if you want to simplify or don't want range penalties.

I take your point about it being equally hard in a "drive AP to 0 contest" regardless of the distance - this method certainly looses that factor. If you are close enough to charge into attack in one exchange you could just pay the AP penalty for movement on your bid rather than use an "advance under fire" contest. Also I would tend to demand that a ranged weapon user was using in the order of 7AP a missile (enough to cause a wound) which should reduce the number of rounds of missile fire.

> Here's my potted archery rules:

Thanks. I did not want to imply mine was the "best" way of doing it, simply give people who were having trouble with it (and its become a bit of a FAQ) a method. Now they can choose from yours as well as mine or take inspiration from both. I just think it is handy if this list generates some resources from its dicussions.

David Dunham wrote:
> Several people have posted on archery lately.
>
> Don't forget that much of the time it is impossible to close with
the
> archers -- I'm talking about the case of mounted archers like
Grazers
> or Praxians. These guys already have a huge advantage, and I see no
> reason in the game to give them further benefits like edges.

The mount is a follower then the mount gives them additional AP to resist closure. The AP would come from the mounts Run perhaps with a max of the archers' ride.

Unlike Philip I would tend to use CC vs RC on both advancer and missile weapon users turn, but that is a matter of personal preference YHWMV.