Re: Magic Crystals & "Battle Magic"

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 10:27:20 -0000

Of course Battle Magic was called "Spirit Magic" in RQ3, and I think the implication was that Theists would not generally use this, except where provided by "Cult Spirits". Of course, since we all had RQ characters who already had these spells, and RQ2 Cult write ups saying they were available from temples, we sort of glossed over it and assumed they were still available.

Current thought seems to be that although Shamen are known to the Orlanthi, they are on the periphery of society rather than valued members ranking along with the priests, so the idea that Joe Orlanthi (should that be Geo Orlanthi?) would pop down to the local shrine, Sacrifice to Orlanth and pick up a couple of Spirit spells while he is there seems a bit off course. That doesn't mean, however, that it is impossible that a staunchly theistic Orlanthi might be in possesion of fetishes provided by the local Kolating Spirit Talker, although (at least by the rules) this will have to be a 1 use fetish, unless he also learns Spirit Combat and accompanies the Kolating on to the spirit plane to capture his own spirits...

...Hmm, Spirit Trapping Crystal.
This Crystal must be attuned. It has it's own "Spirit Combat" rating and may be used by a character with no Spirit Combat ability of his own to attempt to capture a spirit. If the Crystal wins, it binds the spirit into itself, acting as a fetish (It may not integrate the spirit). If the spirit wins, the crystal looses it's power (the amount and duration dependant on the magnitude of the loss). Characters with a Spirit Combat rating may use an attuned Spirit Trapping Crystal to augment there own ability (but not vice versa!)