Re: Gloranthan Reality & Hero Wars (Long Quoutes, my apologies)

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 10:47:53 -0000

> > ie. Orlanth: Combat
> > -----
> > Armour of Woad:
> > At least write some common posible effects from this. Possibly
> > "Commonly used to replace material armour with enchanted blue
> > war-paint". Some minimal statistics of what might be expected?
>
> Indeed... how is the new gamer supposed to figure this out??

Hmm, I'll grant you that for people for whom English is not there first language, there may be a problem, but I don't really see the benefit of saying "Armour of Woad. This feat allows you to treat your Woad like Armour". It's adding extra words and telling me nothing that the feat name didn't already tell me.

Neither is there any need for statistics, that I can see, since you would be typically using Armour of Woad to augment your defensive edge in (before) combat, and there are already rules for that - the exact amount it will augment will depend on your skill, and how much you are prepared to risk - a starting character, improvising the feat from his affinity 17 will have a lot lower effect than devotee hero with an affinity of 10w3...

We need the descriptions! And preferably some
> rules. It's not as if the rules take much space in Hero Wars format.

They would take up far to much space if you insisted that every single feat had a description and rules, especially when they would be largely redundant (in the case of Armour of Woad, Swordhelp, Overbear Foe etc etc). - That's not to say that no feats should ever have descriptions or rules attached, or that some of the more obscurley named ones (cough sunset leap cough) wouldn't benefit from a little more information...