Re: Special Spirits

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 11:50:27 -0000

There are a few possible reasons for their speciality: 1) You'll never encounter them while wandering on the Spirit Plane, only while at a worship ceremony. This is my favourite. Spirit Talkers from other Traditions may encounter the 'ordinary' spirits, and for that matter other Traditions may even include those types of spirit, but the 'special' ones are particular to one Great Spirit. 2) They are directly 'sent' to you by the Great Spirit you worship, as reward for your worship. You still have to capture them, but usually they'll be friendly and possibly easily persuaded. This links with 1 above.
3) They cannot ever be Integratd by anyone outside their own Tradition, nor can a Complete Success at Spirit Combat allow them to be included into an individual's Tradition. This is my own idea, unsupported by the rules so far, but I think it makes sense. It also ties up with 1 & 2.
4) Some of them do things a little differently, a little more powerfully. Not always true, but as a working hypothesis, it allows for making up nice new Traditions with strange effects.

Wulf