Re: Re: Gloranthan Reality & Hero Wars

From: Robin D. Laws <rdl_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:16:12 -0500

At 06:16 PM 8/7/00 +0100, Roy Wiseman wrote:

With GenCon looming and a big project occupying my time, I have time to dip only quickly into this debate.

>I think Mikko was getting at the fact that this diverts from the RQ3
>definition of a Thunderstone. I agree with both points of view though. Hero
>Wars IS different and the *spirit* of the HW theist magic system is in the
>improvisational nature of feats. My personal opinion would be to agree more
>with Mikko in that most of the time, the spirit of Enchant Thunderstone is
>intended to be essentially what is written up in the RQ3 writeup and in
>fact, I think that the Hero Wars designers meant it that way (but they
>didn't SAY it is the point). or did they mean it that way? i'm confused, I
>wish I knew...

The point is to allow abilities, especially magical ones, do a wide variety of things, just as they tend to do in fiction, TV, comic books, and movies.

Seven of Nine has a high rating in her Borg Technology skill. She can use it to enhance the deflectors to ward off the strange beam weapons used by the new aliens of the week, or to locate a Borg ship, or even (on one quickly forgotten occasion) to raise Neelix from the dead.

The Human Torch has a high rating in Flame Powers. He can use it to harm enemies in combat, to melt his way through a door, or to play a prank on Ben Grimm by heating up his can of Coke.

Neo gains a high rating in There Is No Spoon. He can use it to fly, to dodge bullets, to materialize racks of guns, or to lay the Yuen-Woo Ping smackdown on Hugo Weaving.

Just as the rules aren't meant to rigidly define each affinity to The Single One Thing That It Always Does, I would hope that GMs will fight their impulse to define affinities in an exclusive manner.

Take care >>> Robin