Re: some skills questions

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 08:09:24 -0000

Switching to my positive/constructive secret identity...

> There seems to be two mundane meta-skills: Close Combat and Ranged
Combat, that encompass all weapons. Are there other meta-skills? any non-combat and non-magical ones?

You can define a skill as a meta-skill if you want (Play Instrument seems a good one to me), and all Affinities could be considered metaskills.  If you get fed up of everyone coming up with different names for 'Run' (swift of Foot, Sprinting, Run Fast, etc.), make an 'Athletics' meta-skill.

> Does Close Combat (CC) include dodging?
>
> I noticed a Dodge missile skill in one of the sample characters,
why isn't it a speciality of CC?

Good question. I feel that CC includes all the attack/defend combinations, whereas Dodge is defensive only. You COULD include it though.

> If you want to fight while mounted, what do you need in addition to
Ride? At what skill level do you fight?

It's not addressed, but I'd limit it to the lower of Ride and CC/RC (maybe augmented by the higher?).

> How are skills like Fight in Formation used? as augmentations?

Either as augments or as a straight replacement for CC. If used as a replacement you would be less heroic and individual, more concentrating on keeping the formation together.

> Why is sorcery so much more expensive than theist magic? (and the
scope of spells seem much more limited than feats.)

Because Sorcery is inherently evil, vile, perverse, and opposed to all that is good and natural. There is a kernel of truth in there...

Wulf