Subject: some skills questions

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 12:21:22 +0100

> From: Janus <janus2213_at_...>
>Subject: some skills questions
>A couple of HW newbie Qs...
>
>There seems to be two mundane meta-skills: Close Combat and Ranged Combat,
>that encompass all weapons. Are there other meta-skills? any non-combat
>and non-magical ones?

None as written.

>Does Close Combat (CC) include dodging?

Yes.

>I noticed a Dodge missile skill in one of the sample characters, why isn't
>it a speciality of CC?

Because it makes CC way too powerful! I strongly reccommend you don't do it. I'd also apply penalties to dodging missile weapons with a separate skill if there was little cover etc.

>If you want to fight while mounted, what do you need in addition to Ride?
>At what skill level do you fight?

As written the answer seems to be nothing. If you have ride then you fight at full CC value. However, I suspect most people will have house rules to elaborate on this.

>How are skills like Fight in Formation used? as augmentations?

Either as augmentations or a specialization of CC.

>Why is sorcery so much more expensive than theist magic? (and the scope of
>spells seem much more limited than feats.)

Good question. I would check the advanced magic chapter. At low level theist magic is better, but at high level sorcery benefits from lower range, multiple target penalties. IMO sorcery seems underpowered at present, but I'm reserving judgement for the time being.

Thom