Re: some skills questions

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 12:30:44 -0000

You can make almost any meta-skill you like - Wulf suggests Acrobatics, you could also have Entertainment, Animal Handling, Craft - The general rule is that any specific skill is better than the equivalent meta-skill, which is used at an appropriate improvisational penalty.

eg Sing 17 is better than Entertainment (actor) 17, which is probabaly better than Entertainment (mime, juggler) 17.

Someone suggested on uk.games.roleplay that games like HW degenerate down to 2 meta-skills "Know Things" and "Do Things" - just make sure you apply big penalties for such wide-ranging meta-skills!

> Does Close Combat (CC) include dodging?

I would say yes. CC includes attacking, parrying, dodging, manouevering, and the old RQ2 Defence roll.

> I noticed a Dodge missile skill in one of the sample characters,
why isn't it a speciality of CC?

It could be. One of the "features" of HW is that there is always more than one way to write up a character sheet from a description.

> If you want to fight while mounted, what do you need in addition to
Ride? At what skill level do you fight?

A skill like Mounted Combat, or Close Combat (mounted) or Cavalry perhaps? If you have one of these then you fight at the appropriate level. If not then I suspect you would have to improvise from Close Combat, the penalty depending on what weapon you are using...

If I was feeling particularly mean, I'd also make you take some unrelated actions to make simple riding tests to stay on the horse and keep it in combat...

> How are skills like Fight in Formation used? as augmentations?

Yes (if you're fighting in formation) - or maybe for a group instead of close combat