Re: Vagueness of Rules

From: RoySubs_at_...
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 12:46:48 -0000

Charles Corrigan:
> Part of the problem is the external real world constraints of
> finances, people and time. In an ideal world, Issaries would have
> published the existing books plus Thunder Rebels, Sartar Rising and
> She Guards Us simultaneously - or as near so as marketing would
> suggest. In this world, they would have gone broke and we would
> have seen nothing. Perhaps ever.

I agree completely. The point has been made before and I'm glad something has come out rather than the Issaries trade ship sinking, but I think some important points needed to made about a few 'fings.

> Let's hope that Thunder Rebels etc. provide enough further
> information on what a character can expect to do and see in their
> part of Glorantha so those of us that those of us who are
> struggling will not give up in anger.

definitely.

> In the mean time, while we wait, can we tone down the accusations
> etc.. One one side, it will not change what has been published
> already. On the other side, some of us genuinely have issues and
> by expressing those issues, perhaps Issaries will be influenced to
> change their plans. And remember that even someone proposing an
> alternate/opposite viewpoint still cares about the world of
> Glorantha and/or Hero Wars rules enough to do so and wants to see
> further publications. However, flamewars do tend to drive people
> off rather than attract them to a forum.

pass 'um peace pipe?... 'um

> Of course, as many of you will have noticed, I am on the side that
> likes the vagueness. But more importantly, I am on the side that
> enjoys Glorantha and is willing pay to see more of it. Only if
> others, many others, are willing to pay too, will I see this
> happen.

consensus here. hopefully some consensus ideas on what a Sunset Leap might often be used for can lead to consensus understanding about what being a Gloranthan is about.

> So, in the interim, how can we support those who are unhappy with
> the lack of detail in feats, combat etc.?
>
> So, if you have a problem and know how to fix it, then submit it to
> Greg. I did, with the TOC for the Players and Narrators book (only
> the Players has been put up on the Issaries site so far, but both
> are available in the files area of this egroups topic).

I don't have the answers, but I'd love to see postings along the lines of how to run combat and archery in a variety of general cases (the lists are having loads of differing answers going back and forward and that in itself is confusing as well) and maybe longer cult definitions that explain a little of the cultural significance of things like "Spit Down Wind" and "Sunset Leap"... Lunar Officer 1: "I have heard that a powerful Orlanthi is going to perform the sacred ritual of the Sunset Leap against our regiment during their High Holy Day!". Lunar Officer 2: "huh, whass'that then?", Lunar Officer 1: "jeez man, are you stoopid! it's a..., urm..."

> And finally, by choosing a rules and stats light system, Issaries
> can produce more background that is usable by those that prefer to
> use another system (i.e. they may spend money on it which funds
> my/our future enjoyment).

Power to Glorantha! I made the points that I wanted to. I feel that they were fairly reasonable points and although I think some replies were bit unfair when I'm just stating my opinion in as reasonable way as I can think, I agree that it is pointless to have a flame war over these things.

group hug? ;o)