Re: Re: Why you don't need to know what Sunset Leap Does, or,

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:28:55 +0100

DB:
>> Yeah so if you buy drill it has buttons and switches on it
>> that the manual does not explain and the flex gets tangled
>> up with the bit everytime you use it, you find that an
>> exceptable situation.

Wulf:
>Why bother buying novels, when you can buy a dictionary?

Look guys, this is getting ridiculous.

Yes, there is ambiguity in Hero Wars. It is a deliberate design decision, and it isn't going to change. If there is a feat listed that is thoroughly ambiguous, and the player or narrator don't have the time or inclination to make up the details, then ignore it for now, or make up something different that fits in with the affinity and the other feats.

Yes, there is stuff in the final text that didn't get playtested. That wasn't deliberate, it's just the way things happened. There was probably no time or resources left to do as much playtesting as some might have liked. If you absolutely must have a top-quality, throughly proof-read and playtested product, then you're going to have to get it from a company that has a million dollars to spend on developing a new product, so maybe 3rd Ed D&D will please you.

What we have is an innovative, flexible roleplaying system, that keeps game stats to an absolute minimum, and allows much more game world information to be packed into each supplement. Read the myths in Anaxial's Roster, and I'm sure you will agree with me that this is A Good Thing. The problem with flexibility is that you sometimes have to make stuff up. Where would be the fun in saying "Heres a Wind affinity, it's flexible, you can do anything Wind related with it, so long as it's only one of these four rigidly-defined effects. Later in the game, you can pay development point costs to make up new, rigidly-defined abilities of your own."

I say "Hurrah!" to Hero Wars! (But what happened to the lay-flat binding ... grumble...)

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.