Re: Sorcery question and idea for learning new sorcery spells

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:00:45 -0000

> Question about Sorcery - I have a long runnning Fronelan campaign,
> where all the characters have obtained sorcerous spells. Now on
> reading the HW rules it seems that only Wizards/Sorcerers get
> spells by default.

Liturgists also get blessings from the recommended grimoires and members of a low order can be taught these blessings.

> How are people playing this ? - it would seem a problem
> ordinary Malkioni cannot used magic

They can use magic (miracles, liturgical magic etc.), they just don't learn spells as that is something for wizards.

Interpreting the Medieval Soldier writeup in the Player's Book: Genertela, one could argue that the Malkioni ask for miracles for keeping the coals hot at night, driving out rats or cockraoches etc. This gives them a (feeble) incentive to be more pious.

> but ordinary theistic(sp)
> worshippers can (fairly one-sided battles with the edges/augment
> rules)

Ordinary Malkioni rely on their knights and soldiers to do their fighting for them and they are generally considered to be superior to the average theistic worshipper.

> So far, I am proposing (IMG) that those (non-liturgists) whom
> Venerate a saint can gain access to selected spells from that
> Saints main grimoire, but not from the 'Abiding Book'.

Under Fighting Order and Guilds, it's stated that "[Members] may even be taught specific spells by the organisation". The Black Horse Keywords has more specific guidelines on what a particular Malkioni might learn (i.e. A Ridderan Footman is given Axe of Retribution and Resist God or Spirit).

I don't see a need to restrict them from learning the blessings of the Abiding Book but most of those blessings are a wee bit useless.

--Peter Metcalfe