Re: Thunderstone

From: RoySubs_at_...
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:45:10 -0000

> Not me guv. I may have suggested that I thought other people were
> doing this when they said that HW Feats didn't match the
> descriptions given of different named RQ Spells, though.
> I mean once you can accept that "Armour of Woad" is not something
> that can only be cast once a year, or that "Thunderstone" is not
> just a pseudonym for "Create Hand Grenade", then surely it becomes
> obvious that referring to RQ descriptions is being *the only
> correct interpretation* is pointless.

Who said that? huh? Even in RQ people had to twist mechanics for fun and interesting adventures. I think it would be pretty inconceivable to NOT have circumstances in RQ where enchanted woad is created in other ways (a magical woad pot blessed by Orlanth that gives out a dose of woad once per week or summat - it is a fantasy game after all). Nobody ever said "Thunderstone" = "Create Hand Grenade", except... that's right, Mr. Ellis, your good self! ;o)

> And if you already accept this, why are you complaining about the
> RQ descriptions not being repeated in HW? ("You" here being a
> general You and not an attack on any particular You)
> Where do you draw the line though? Adding a couple of lines for
> these two feats may have been helpful, saying "'Armour of Woad' is
> a feat that allows you to treat Woad like Armour" or "'Swordhelp'
> is a feat used to help you use your Sword" are redundant. Add that
> redundancy for every listed feat and we are loosing a lot of
> otherwise useful text.

I don't want a one line description. For Short cult write ups I want a one line description to give a general feel and for long cult writeups I want lots of LUVERLY DETAILS! :o) (makes me go all weak at the knees to even say it...) Goddamit, I really must be the antichrist to suggest this, huh!? Keep the short cult writeups for the limited page books and get as many long, detail-heavy writeups on the web site. oh yeah, baby! ;o)

> Never said it was. Since the feats are described in (very) general
> terms (they have a name and an affinity), and people have posted
> interesting improvisational ideas here, why isn't everyone happy?

well... these are pretty simple ideas, but I'll try again (with another of my bullshit stories cos I know you love 'em Tim!). Newbies buy HW and try to play. Confusion and turmoil ensue "what's this? what's that? are we meant to just make it all up ourselves? uh...". They persevere (some don't and fall away). They go to www.glorantha.com and find more decriptions basically of the same format. They persevere (some more choose not to as it doesn't seem worth the effort being left without deatils of play this much and fall away). The remainder begin to get it that they are NOT ALLOWED to ask what a Sunset Leap and have to MAKE IT ALL UP and get their heads round that. Finally they get here; out of the original 100 newbies, maybe 2 or 3 brave souls make it this far - (hey it's my bullshit story, right!). They receive the 'Tim Ellis honorary Ikadz award'! and now they can get suggestions for feat descriptions (in a very disorganised and hard to cross-reference manner, but don't worry about that). whoopee! ok, call it all bullshit if you want and don't worry about any of it. I don't mind, but is this even slightly conceivable to you (ok, not you Tim, I don't expect you to agree with me buddy, that's a given...)

DETAILS. Playing a character, being in character is about DETAILS. Improvisation is on top of that. But you gotta have the details before you can improvise them. Tim, here is what I think your description of a broo is... "a thing", or maybe "a chaos thing" (is that too much detail?). This is great, as it gives us huge scope for improvisation and interesting DO IT ALL YOURSELF situations. You don't even need to buy Anaxial's Roster. A list of the animal names is on the glorantha site. Get the list, why bother with the DETAILS!!!