Re: Digest Number 226

From: Richard Melvin <rmelvin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:49:08 +0100

>I mean once you can
>accept that "Armour of Woad" is not something that can only be cast
>once a year, or that "Thunderstone" is not just a pseudonym
>for "Create Hand Grenade"

OK, I for one do not accept that.

One pitfall when running HW is allowing all feats to be used interchangeably (just another +4 augment for a single contest).

Any information that can be used by the player to add a bit more detail and colour should be seized on, no matter what it's source.

With a suitable cleansing ritual, even some information from the foul and evil RQ rules can be of use:-)

In my Glorantha, Armour of Woad is used as follows:

If the player has the feat, and makes his augmentation roll, he has the corresponding amount of woad stored from the Sacred Time ritual. This can be applied to give armour rank (i.e. a defensive edge), as a part of the Arming of Orlanth ceremony (15 minutes minimum, often longer).

Armour of Woad will usually last for a whole episode, not a single contest, although it may get washed off if the Hero goes swimming in a mythically hostile river, spends several days walking under a burning sun, or similar.

The defensive edge given also works against most forms of magical attack, including spirits. The woad can be applied to someone other than the one who has the feat, or to several people (splitting the edge gained equally).

Woad is often supplied to heroes acting on behalf of their community (use relationship to community in place of Armour of Woad skill level if the players are asking, or just give it to them if the plot calls for it).

Now, I fully accept that that is more text than would have fitted into the rule-book. And even if there had been room in printing terms, the intended audience would likely not have the inclination to read it, or to be able to recall it on cue if they did.

But I still think that that's the way it _really_ works in Glorantha...

So if it comes up in a game I run or play in, I will probably make up on the spot something similar to the above. Of course, it will not be exact, as I will certainly not be going through back issues of the list to see exactly what I wrote. Just as I wouldn't look something like that up in the rule-book, even if it _was_ in there:-)

Richard