Re: Subject: Mounted Combat

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 19:39:06 +0200

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, philip.hibbs_at_... wrote:
> >The situation arised when oneof my players wanted to play a
> >Heortling character who had lived for several years among
> >the Grazers. Thus he is good at fighting with Spear & Shield
> >on foot, but prefers to fight with an axe while mounted.
>
> If he used the essay character generation, then I'd say putting "he learned
> to fight grazer-style" would allow him to use his close combat ability with
> no penalty, but if he wantsa to use a different weapon while mounted, then
> maybe a -3 for this, I don't think that's too bad. Better than having to
> have two skills!

Yes, that is another way of doing it.
But then, weapon techniques are cheap. One Hero Point and there you go, your full close combat skill.

I mean, if Sword figthing is a different technique from Sword & Shield fighting, why would Mounted Sword & Shield fighting not be a different technique?

I can see arguments against it, heroes should not have to bother with such minutiae and so on.
But I like the effect it gives, that people can be able to ride without being skilled at fighting on horseback.
It also points out the difference between, say, Heortling and Grazer combat tactics.

 --
Henrix