Armour of Woad

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 19:35:31 +0100

Richard Melvin, replying to me , says

>>I mean once you can
>>accept that "Armour of Woad" is not something that can only be cast
>>once a year, or that "Thunderstone" is not just a pseudonym
>>for "Create Hand Grenade"
>
>OK, I for one do not accept that.

and then goes on to say exactly how he would use Armour of Woad to allow it to be cast at any time!

I mostly agree with everything he says. I don't think that Armour of Woad is a spell you can just decide to cast in the middle of a combat when you realise your opponent is stronger than you thought - It requires that you apply the Woad in the approved patterns and in the approved manner. A failure in the feat roll can indicate that the pattern is wrong, the ritual failed, or that you have run out of sacred Woad, in which case you will be unable to use the feat until the supply can be replaced.

I am happy not having these written down as hard and fast rules, I don't need to know how long it actually takes in hours and minutes to apply the woad - it is something I can use on a case by case basis.

"OK, The Grazers appear over the brow of the hill, they are chanting and waving their war lances at the sky, and look ready to charge, what are you doing?"
"I want to use my 'Armour of Woad' feet to protect me from them when they attack"
"You realise that you won't have time to strip off and draw all the intricate patterns before they close with you, - do you want to do something else instead?"

If the player is absolutely insistent I might let him improvise a minor protection feat by just painting his face blue, or if he pointed out his character description says he always wears his Woad in public I might let him use the feat to "Energise" the warpaint. I wouldn't have the Grazers attack him while he is still taking his trousers off unless, despite the warnings, he insisted on following his original course of action.

--
| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_...                      |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations?            |