FEATS: Overbear Foe

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 00:37:35 +0100

A Combat Feat of Orlanth Adventurous

I think this feat is generally used to take a foe out of combat without (necessarily) killing them - It is used to knock them down, maybe wrestle them to the floor. The caster may appear to become larger to his opponent, although he doesn't actually change in size.

It will normally be used in an extended contest, in place of a Close Combat ability, although it could be used to enhance Wrestle, Brawl or similar (these could also be used to enhance the feat). Any sort of Large, Strong or similar skill could also enhance this feat.

In a group contest, the user should be aware that unless they achieve a good victory, they will likely end up on the floor (though on top of the foe) [I would probably charge 5 AP's and/or an unrelated action to get to ones feet before the next opponent closed in. A Good or quick victory might represent an opponent being bowled over or thrown without the character going down]

It could also be used in a simple contest - say to charge past/through a lowly grunt guarding the door to get to the head honcho inside. Any sort of success indicates you have knocked them down/aside. Marginal/minor failure means they have blocked you, complete failure means they have blocked you with a minor injury, and Complete Failure is exactly what it says!

Overbearing multiple foes is very tricky, (unless in true swashbuckling style you have armed yourself with the tavern bench). I would require an explanation of how you were doing it, and apply the Multiple target rule on p230. An exception would be using the feat to charge through something like a Trollkin Hoard (acting as a mob).

--

| Tim Ellis EMail tim_at_... |
| What is the use of a book without pictures or conversations? |