Re: Re: Thunderstone

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:12:58 +0300 (EET DST)

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Mikael Raaterova wrote:

> >Hrolf Swordthane was a famous fighting hero in his time, and I've
> >learned his "Leaping Sword" feat from one of his followers. Hrolf was
> >famous for throwing his sword at deadly accurasy, a last ditch move, but
> >one that saved his or a friends lives on occasion. But lately I've
> >started wondering... "Since the feat is called "Leaping Sword",
> >shouldn't I be able to make the enemies swords leap right out of their
> >hands!"
> >
> >Now I hope even the slowest of you will see where the problem lies. The
> >feats are named after something. They refer to feats done by a god or a
> >hero. People who learn this feat have to know what they are learning,
> >and they are not trivial things, not something you can just decide to
> >interpret totally different.
>
> If that would be origin of that particular feat, then it would be
> more aptly named "throw sword", no?

Ah, it would, but I don't think the Gloranthans call it that. Old Hrolf was a poetic one, and all that... And also I don't think that the Hero Wars feats are named after clarity either. They are mostly poetic names, that tell us rather little about the feats themselves.

> Since it is in fact named "leaping sword" it implies you can make
> swords leap with it. That being so, you should be able to make the
> swords of your enemies leap too, no?

It depends how we interpret the feats. Is it the name that defines the feat. I don't think so, I think there is a feat behind the name, and the feat is not defined by the name, if you get my meaning.

> I do agree with you in principle, though.

I'm glad. :)

        -Adept