Re: Re: "Sufficient" detail

From: Robin D. Laws <rdl_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:39:54 -0500

At 08:53 PM 8/15/00 +0100, Wulf Corbett wrote:

> It's fine in game terms, but in world
>terms it's nonsense that characters don't understand how known magic
>works well in advance of using it.

The characters know.

They're just not telling you quite yet.

---

Or, to put it more seriously, the rules model literary
conceits.  They do not simulate reality and are not detectable
or measurable in the world of Glorantha.  The characters
are no more aware of them than Hamlet is that he's in a
character in a play, or Captain Ahab knows that he's
in a really long novel by Herman Melville.

We, the readers, may not know what Morden's magic is
at the beginning of the story.  We discover it in the
midst of the story, as pacing properly dictates.

Take care >>> Robin