RE: Re: "Sufficient" detail

From: Robin D. Laws <rdl_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:22:02 -0500

At 05:20 AM 8/16/00 -0700, Jeff Johnson wrote:

>I thought Hero Wars was deliberately designed so that what rules it has
>(with minimal numbers to support gaming) are in line with how Glorantha
>works.

The rules are designed to permit people to play games that feel like Greg's stories.

To this end, the game mechanics emulate the principles and internal rhythms of fiction, rather than simulating the interaction of forces in an imaginary world.

>Sure, real, Gloranthan people don't know what their score in some ability
>is, but I thought Gloranthan terms like feats and affinities were used by
>lozenge people, not just players.

Well now we've switched topics a bit, from the difference between character & player knowledge to the extent that HW terminologies are used in Glorantha.

Where possible, we selected terms that might be used by both players and Gloranthans. "Feat" is an example. But this would not be the only term Gloranthans might use. If I recall correctly, "trick" is also used in Morden Defends the Camp. There are probably other synonyms.

"Affinity" might be used by some scholars, but probably in vernacular usage theists just say "powers" or something, like, "I draw on the Terror powers of Babeester Gor." But for game use a more precise term seemed desirable. With the major exception of sorcerers, Gloranthan magicians don't seem like they're much for terminological distinctions. The Babeester Gor axe maiden doesn't need to choose a word that distinguishes her magic from each of the other major types.

I doubt many "theists" use the term "theist", either.
More like "us" and "those foul sorcerers" and "those
weird shamans" and "those funny people over on the hill
with the long robes."

Would a term seem funny if a character referred to it in dialogue in a novel? Then it's a game term, not a Gloranthan term.

>I now don't understand anything about the way Hero Wars was written; it
>seems to have utterly failed in every single one of what I understood were
>its supposed goals, or to not have been trying to achieve them after all.

It does sound like you were expecting a game designed according to a different set of goals.

Take care >>> Robin