Re: Re: Gloranthan magic

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alexanl_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:34:05 +0200

Tim Ellis:

> > The things I want to know aren't rules at all. They're the things I
> thought
> > this damn game was supposed to be about - the "dramatic realism of
> a magical
> > world".
>
> Yes, but the important word here is "dramatic" not "realism".

        No, IMO both are important. But since HW rules can't be used to make assumptions on Gloranthan reality (and this is a Good Thing) we must have informations from an inside POV.

         Even fiction must be internally consistent (or least consistent in its inconsistency) and must respect genre conventions, otherwise my suspension of disbelief gets suspended. Realism here means only depth, actually illusion of realism.

        BTW, I think that HW is consistent enough... Save on a couple of instances.

--
Regards,
Alexandre.

"Cinq milliards de races d'hommes sur Terre,
Est-ce assez pour croiser le fer...?"