RE: Re: "Sufficient" detail

From: Robin D. Laws <rdl_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:16:34 -0500

At 12:12 AM 8/17/00 -0700, Jeff Johnson wrote:

>You've stated what the game's goals are here. But how was I supposed to
>understand that the game had no intention of describing Glorantha from just
>the book or promotional material? I've now lent out my copy, so can't check,
>but I don't recall ever seeing this stated.

You might want to take another look at the various sidebars with marked out by the movie-clapper icons.

As far as pre-release info goes, we made an effort to get word out through the Gloranthan community. I spoke at length on this approach at Gloranthacon in LA and Convulsion 4. The design notes in GAMES UNPLUGGED also describe the goals.

>It's certainly not anything I
>carried away from reading the book and perusing the website, but I may have
>been blind to it, since I thought I already understood what the goals were.

I hope that's the case. It may be that some of the relevant passages got moved to a less prominent place than they were in my original MS, I dunno. Let me know if the matter still seems unclear to you on a second look. If so, that's an issue to address when we take another shot at making the Deluxe Box accessible to newcomers.

>Every roleplaying game is well-served by making it's goals clear.

Absolutely. Although, like examples, this kind of apparently-philosophical, but vital, introductory material is often cut by space-hungry editors. (The preceding was a general statement on RPG design, not a comment on Roderick's work.)

Take care >>> Robin