Wealth Rating (was Re: Examples of Rules Play)

From: Steve Dempsey <eg0sum_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 14:05:03 -0000

THAT part of it is great, yes. But there are other problems. I don't have my books with me, so I can't be certain about these, however...

> You want a Chain Mail shirt - Lets check against your Wealth rating

How about outfitting a warband? Lots and lots of mailshirts. How do you add the values together?

> Likewise Increasing your wealth works well. You find a horde of
> Gold Wheels / Saleable weapons / Unclaimed cattle - You can spend
> a HP to increase your Wealth rating (You invest them wisely) or
> not (You spend them all on beer & partying).
>
> True, another good point. But unless your Narrator just assigns a
> total value to the increase by guestimate, you can't add it up!

I have a couple of problems with the Wealth rating too.

  1. It isn't obvious how things add up. The scale doesn't appear to be particularly linear.
  2. I'm not sure why it should cost HPs to cement an increase in wealth. This is like the GURPS rule that no-one ever uses. If you come across some advantage in play, like finding a working spaceship, you are supposed to pay the XP cost, taking on disadvantages if you cannpt meet it some other way. You might start to limp or get migraines due to the stress of ownership. This is an extreme example.

If a PC is naturally thrifty he'll save, if he is a Storm Bull he'll blow it all. No HPs needed.

If you are going to charge HPs for money, new friends, contacts, ... where does it end. If you defeat someone in an argument and people take your side, do you have to pay HPs to keep them on your side?

I suppose I can see the argument for this but I have chosen not to use it for wealth.

Steve