RE: Animists and ancestors

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:44:31 GMT

James A. Holden:

> > Because none is needed. Simply use ordinary Bargain, Intimidate
> > etc. There's no HW skill called Bargain with trolls but we don't
> > go around assuming that the Fight Troll skill is used instead on
> > the spurious grounds that it's badly named.

>You miss my point. There is no Bargain skill whatsoever in any HW >shaman's
>keyword that we've seen so far.

And the problem with them using the default value of 6 is what?

>Obviously if one clan has a Basmol lion skin fetish, other clans can still
>worship and contact Basmol (in whatever ways his death >allows).

These are not ordinary HW fetishes and thus it would be silly trying to infer the properties of HW fetishes based on these examples. The rules are fairly straightforward about the what an embodied fetish is so rather than vary its meaning to acccomodate myriad gloranthan practices, it would be far simpler to stipulate that a tradition can create a special type of fetish with the desired properties.

--Peter Metcalfe