Re: Re: Animists and ancestors

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:54:08 GMT

Henrix:

> > At 11:13 24/08/00 +0200, Nils Weinander wrote:
> > >It would seem logical that the ancestor is not contactable
> > >by others, as it is no longer present on the Spirit Plane.
> > >But, as a fetish only contains one power of the spirit, one
> > >could argue that just this power is tied up until the fetish
> > >is used.

Me> > The Borderlands Scenario where the PCs visit Gonn Orta indicates
> > otherwise.

>Does it have to the same for all spirits on all occasions?

For a HW embodied fetish, yes. If you desire another type of fetish, make it a secret of the tradition rather than trying to tinker with the interpretations.

>Could not a
>powerful spirit just lend a part of itself, or just be contactable >with
>the fetish, while a lesser spirit would be captured in it?

Well the rules say nothing about what a shaman does with a great spirit (like Lightning Boy or Jardan) so I assume the details varies with the traditions.

>This could lead to powerful shamans being able to capture powerful >spirits
>in a fetish,

I don't think any shaman is powerful enough to capture something like lightning boy within a fetish.

--Peter Metcalfe