RE: Re: Animists and ancestors

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 08:43:41 +0100

Ian writes:

[good examples skipped]

> So we do seem to have a tradition in Glorantha of bound spirits being
> uncontactable/unusable by anybody else.

Yur. But only now do we have a situation where Ancestor Worshipping animists (apparently) *have* to bind their ancestors into fetishes in order to get any magic out of them.

I think the crux is in that "apparently", and that binding one's ancestors will turn out to be a generally bad thing to do. I think (like Peter) that the answer lies at the Axis Mundi...

And I also like the excellent suggestion that Tradition Knowledge allows a shaman to bargain with friendly spirits from his tradition.

Cheers, Nick