Re: Nitpicking with Nick

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:14:51 EDT

In a message dated 8/27/00 2:57:03PM, you write:

<<
 And I also like the excellent suggestion that Tradition Knowledge allows a  shaman to bargain with friendly spirits from his tradition.

I like the co
ncept except I don't think the phrase 'bargain' is the best one to use. IMO 'bargain' implies some sort of negotiation, bluffing, and haggling which I do not think is what shamans using Traditional Knowledge would be doing. They are making a transaction where both parties know the prices (or think they know), however obscure and peculiar they are. It would be like a supply contract where someone (for example Waha!) negotiates lead time, freight charges, price per unit, bulk discounts etc, (knowing the ins and outs of this would be the Knowledge) and someone else actually calls off the goods. We do not know what would happen if the spirit broke the contract, but must presume it would be bad for he spirit in some way.

Keith N