Tradition Knowledge vs. Bargaining (was: Animists and ancestors)

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 23:59:48 -0400

At 09:32 AM 08/27/2000 -0700, David Dunham wrote:
>I keep going back and forth on whether shamans should have
>bargaining, or Tradition Knowledge should be expanded. One or the
>other must be true (or both).

I'd like to throw another two cents on the fire:

I'm in favor of "expanding" Tradition Knowledge to include the various forms of dealing with spirits. (The quotes around "expanding" are there to indicate that I think that Tradition Knowledge is already the logical source of a shaman's ability to deal with spirits.) Here's why:

  1. Q:How does a shaman know how to deal with spirits? A:Tradition Knowledge (inferred from HW:RiG p. 207). I don't think that it is necessary to add other skills to a shaman's keyword or require a shaman to have Bargain, Grovel, Flatter, etc.
  2. If the shaman does have Bargain, Flatter, or Grovel, does this mean that shamans are good bargainers, flatterers, or grovelers in other aspects of life? I don't think so. (This leads to weird results like the high strength mages in GURPS that exist because strength is directly related to "magic points".)
  3. Ability inflation: I also don't see the need to add "With Spirits" to each of those skills so that shamans need yet another set of basic skills to perform the basic parts of their form of worship.
  4. Adding words to the effect of "Non-combat methods of dealing with spirits are covered by the shaman's Tradition Knowledge, augmented by other relevant skills."[1] to the third paragraph under the Spirits heading on p. 206 of HW:RiG seems to be the least intrusive way to deal with this issue and it can be easily added to the errata in the meantime.

[1] The part about "augmented by other relevant skills" allows the shaman to use skills such as Bargain, Grovel, and Flatter.

Please comment. I have been using the above system in my game and it works for me, but I'd like to know if there are any holes in my logic.

Thanks,
Andy Dawson