Re: Digest Number 247

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:26:56 +0100

> From: "Tim Ellis" <tim_at_...>
>I'm not completly convinced by this argument, I'm afraid. Even if
>you assumed the Shaman could persuade a friendly tradition spirit to
>inhabit a fetish on a simple roll (no resistance), this only gives a
>30% chance of success. Greg was arguing at Convulsion that everyone
>would normally have a mastery in there normal "professional" skill
>(Would you want to see a doctor who fumbled 5% of his normal
>diagnoses/procedures?) - On this basis 70% of your shaman's fetishes
>are not going to work, Even more if you allow the spirit a chance to
>resist...
>
>Also take the example of a Shaman summoning spirits for the tribe (or
>taking the tribe to the spirit plane) so they can refill their own
>fetishes. If the shaman only has a standard 6, then his trader
>buddies will be better at filling fetishes than he is, which just
>sounds wrong...

I'm not convinced either. A better answer might be that Kolati mainly deal with combatitive wind spirits who need to be fought (even if sort of friendly). In any case I'd let a Shaman negotiate bargain using spirit combat (with a big minus) and tradition knowledge (with a smaller minus, but only within tradition).

Thom