Re: various bits

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:57:38 -0700

Jane asked

> Initiates. All the sample characters seem to be Devotees, unfortunately.
> Do I understand correctly that Initiates get all the Affinities immediately
> on initiation, but no Feats at all? What does one do with an Affinity with
> no Feats? There don't seem to be any examples for this.

Initiates learn affinites. They can use any of the listed feats at a -3 improvisational penalty.

> Orlanth Aspects: quite a few people suggested that Orlanth Thunderous
> has a Fertility Affinity. But he doesn't. He has Clouds/Rain, Fight
> Elements, and Wind. Worshippers are listed as "air magicians". The
> nearest I can find to "a Fertilty affinity to help with crops,
> fields etc." is
> Orlanth Farmer, with Agriculture and a Secret of Plow Any Field. Which
> would make sense, since this probably is what most normal Orlanthi
> males do with their time.

I don't believe I phrased it quite like that, but Orlanth Thunderous's Clouds/Rain is all about bringing fertility to crops (especially the Gentle Rain feat). It's not a Fertility aspect in that you can't improvise fertility magic that's not related to rain, but you could call a protective layer of fog if the sun were withering the crops.

Orlanth the Farmer is almost identical to Barntar -- it's certainly plausible in many clans that most men belong, but I didn't suggest it because we're talking heroes.

> I'm going to let them have one skill at 1W, since they really must have
> basic competence at doing *something* without supervision in order to
> class as an adult. But it won't be combat-related. P120 tells me that a
> Heortling cottar has ability 15, so they should be lower than that.

Basic competency is really whatever you define it as -- if their opponents all have 15, then the PCs would need 15 as well, but the game *system* supports defining basic competency at 12.

I sort of agree with Peter that initiation to a great god isn't a good idea, though I think you're really using it as a placeholder until they are "really" initiated, which isn't quite the same thing.

Andy

> Shamans seem to have mad/crazed personality traits.

You must be thinking of kolatings. The most famous shaman of Dragon Pass is the Feathered Horse Queen, and she's not crazed (see p.108).

But today I'm leaning towards not giving all shamans Bargain, letting Tradition Knowledge be a main ability.

Nick

> pretending that theistic otherworld entities will all be called "daimones"
> is a bit of a non-starter (I hope!).

I presume that this is a God Learner distinction. Thunder Rebels should mention that Heortlings call them "spirits" (even though the rules may consider them daimones).

Mikko

> I like to see weaponthanes who are good with, "Windborne jump", or
> "Throw Lightning", without them having the whole affinity at the same
> high level.

One way to do this, which isn't explicitly in the rules any more but was playtested, is simply to say in the character description "Robart is famed for throwing lightning" and then giving him a +3 to lightning-related feats.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein