The Mostalli Alliance

From: Brian Laxson <b1laxson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:19:48 -0400

During a recent session in Jeff's game we had a discussion about who the clan ancestral ally was. A number of options were presented and some eliminated due to previous adventures. It came down to a choice between the beastmen (including those Quaker Jacks), Praxian nomads and the Mostalli schedulized society. Several jokes were made about both. Having had a friendly encounter with Satyrs in another adventure (too friendly in the view of Vingan) we settled on the beastmen. However...

It occured to me how one would actually acquire an alliance with the Mostalli. It would run something like this: (told from the Orlanthi viewpoint)

"Our ancestores found a group of Mostalli living in the mine yonder. Although a good
were traded little could be done to create a long term relationship. Then a disaster fell upon the Mostalli who found themselves unable to keep up with the sacred schedule. In dire need they approached us. The said they needed our aid and offered wealth in return. We agreed but they first asked us to particpate with them in a strange ritual called 'Sub-Contracting'. We performed this ritual and went to the aid of the Mostalli.
Later the Mostalli needed to recove an item that had been stolen. The loss of the item was greatly affecting the schedule. They had learned it had been taken by a servant of Valind, our ancient enemy. Knowing of this they came to ask if a few of us would come along with them onto the glacier to provide guidance on dealing with the cold. When we agreed they asked us to perform another strange ritual called 'Consulting'.
Since the servant of Valind frequently tried to disrupt the schedule the Mostalli soon came with us with another offer. When we agreed to aid them again we conducted the ritual 'Piece Work' and would be rewarded each time we weakened Valind or defeated his servants."

We now return you to your programmed regular schedule

Brian Laxson
aka Agnar the Humakti
"These people really have a problem with death. It's like they expect to live
forever for something."