Followers

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 11:07:32 +0100

Our group has now played a few HW sessions. One of my players made a couple of interesting observation about Followers.

In a traditional RPG, the party of characters is partly bound together by the different abilities of each character: only as a team do they have all the abilities needed. A hero (HW character) with several followers, however, has less need for hero companions, since the followers can provide the abilities the hero lacks. In extreme examples, the other players in a session can be superfluous.

Followers can be very able; this further reduces the binding of characters into a party. For example, the player of our warrior hero chose interesting, non warrior, abilities as his best (5W) and second bast (2 X 1W) abilities, and so his warrior abilities are still at 17. The player of our merchant hero has a couple of warrior bodyguards, and has spent a hero point on improving his best ability, so his body guards are now the best fighters in the party, with 18 ratings.

Are followers, as per the rules, too unbalancing?