Mastery = basic competence

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_...>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:41:59 +0100

The way I understood Greg to explain this at Convulsion (and yes, it made sense to me), having a Mastery means that under normal
circumstances, you don't fumble. Maybe if there are exceptional
circumstances, then yes, but not normally. So, he asked, in your nomral
everyday work, that you get paid for, how often do you fumble? How
often do you fail? Right. You're at about 10W.

It's a bit difficult to measure fumbles and so on in being a pro. database designer. Results take too long to come back. But one thing I do quite often is cook a meal. A fumble would be, say, burning it. Burning the pan. Giving people food poisoning. I don't do this: not ever. So I've got at least one mastery in Cooking. A Failure would be that the result is edible, but not all that tasty. No-one asks for seconds, some gets left on the plates. This happens, but not often. But if you asked me to cook a hedgehog over an open fire: things could get messy!

Looking at the Rules, p120 tells me that making a Jourenyman quality item starts at 1W: a Masterwork starts at 1W2.

It sounds to me as if a skill that a PC has got well enough to be of value to the clan should be at least at 1W. Not the "everyone can do that" skills, but, say Brew Cider. Fishing. Cooking. Something that isn't that unusual, but not everyone is that good. Obviously I'm not going to list Walk 1W2 (or even Chew Gum 1W2), but there are people who can't cook, or fish, so it's worth mentioning it when someone can.