Re: Still converting that low-level RQ campaign

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 12:27:12 +0100

>Re-re-reading.. yes, I see what you mean. I just have problems
>believing it. So when she got her Javelin 12, her Missile Combat went
>up to 12, and her Archery followed it. And any other missile weapons
>she may learn at a later date will also be at 12.
>
>Character development costs, pp31-32... yes, there's no way of
>improving a sub-ability without improving the main ability, is there?
>So all Close Combat abilities will always be the same. A Humakti's
>Sword will always be at the same skill as his Spear&Shield. Hmm.
>
>I can see some problems with this: but for now, I'm trying to use the
>rules as written before I start making modifications.

The Humakti is a special case (they can get bonuses to a specific weapon via a geas, so a close combat 1W Humakti might be +5 or 6W with Greatsword). You can apply the logic generically (but I'd advise making CC +3 hp to increase and each specialization +1).

My preference is to stick with the rules as written. So far we have had 3 combats in two sessions followed by two sessions with no combats (and they were the most fun). Making CC +3 hp to increase would make it prohibitively hard to improve (i.e., it would cost +2 or +6 hp to get an increase a lot of the time). However, if combat features more strongly in your campaign you might want to change.

Thom