Re: Digest Number 257

From: t.s.baguley_at_...
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 12:57:44 +0100

>> > Herding 12 is quite enough for somebody you send out to watch over
>> > the sheep. A skill of 12 means that he has experiense doing the
>> thing, and knows quite a bit about it (it's not that hard).
>> > You really don't need a mastery in sheep herding.
>>
>> Don't you? I've never tried it, but I know there are national
>> competitions in sheep herding ("One man and his dog" or some such
>> name), and presumably the extra skill is considered worth having by
>> the sheep farmers who go out of their way to acquire it.
>
>It's a contest, a form of sports. They don't need a rationalized
>reason. I'm sure people have masteries in sheep herding, but a shepard
>boy does not need one to be able to do his job.

No-one has proposed that he should (certainly not Greg).

>> "Sheepless Nights" actually uses this sort of skill, so let's take a
>> look.
>> A bunch of kids aged 8-12 have Shepherd 13
>> A "proper" shepherd has Shepherd 3W and Herd 13W
>
>Was that the character that had been doing it most of his life?
<snip>
> -Adept

Yes. This, I believe was Greg's argument. A professional skill you have been doing day-in, day-out for your whole life should be mastered.

If you want a time limit I'd say at least ten years (the so called "10 year rule" in expertise research).

Thom