Re: Mastery, Competence & Inflation

From: Graham Robinson <gjrobinson_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 14:26:22 +0100

Tim Ellis wrote :
> wrote:
> > So I have Software Engineer 5W, or whatever. According to
> > the rules I therefore do a great job a quarter of the time, an okay
> > job most of the time, and mess up once in twenty. This seems about
> > right, for normally difficult tasks.
> >

> Only if you are making unopposed rolls, though. If you are trying to
> solve a problem with obscure, undocumented operating system bug (5W2)
> then your chance will be greatly reduced...

Which is what I meant by a 'normally difficult task' - one which would be an unopposed roll. Obviously, more difficult problems are opposed rolls.

> The other thing this discussion has brought out is the understanding
> of "Fumble" - It's fine to say that a character with 1
> Mastery "Never Fumbles", but without knowing what a fumble is, it is
> fairly meaningless (Is it, in the cooking example, Inedible food,
> Dangerous food, or merely unappitizing food? - As a software
> engineer, is it a fumble if you write a program that fails to do what
> you intended, or only if it does the opposite of what you wanted it
> to do? - If you Quit from an edit without saving first, is that a
> fumble or a failure? Delete the wrong version of a file? Run the
> wrong program, or the right program on the wrong machine? Copy a
> file to the wrong directory? I wouldn't say I make these sort of
> errors 5% of the time, but I don't think I could honestly claim
> to "never fumble")

This of course is the big question. Software Engineers expect to produce code with bugs, mistakes, etc. If they can be found in a reasonable time frame, we would regard this as a 'successful' day. Fumbles are a game construct and don't really map terribly well into real life. Personally, I'd use
fail as roughly 'minor bad thing happens' and fumble as 'major bad thing happens'. So a shepherd failing is "the sheep scatter, and it takes you an hour to get them back together" while a fumble is "one of the sheep just wandered off the edge of a cliff in the fog." The problem is the rules are so
vague, that someone else might have losing only one sheep as a fail, losing half the flock as a fumble, and are just as 'correct'.

Whether this matters is another matter entirely.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson