Re: Mastery = basic competence

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 20:07:32 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000 philip.hibbs_at_... wrote:

> Mikko:
> >Herding 12 is quite enough for somebody you send out to watch over
> >the sheep. A skill of 12 means that he has experiense doing the
> >thing, and knows quite a bit about it (it's not that hard).
>
> So three days a week you fail to successfully herd your sheep, and about
> every three weeks you lose half the herd? I'm not hiring you!

Old RQ "Whoops, cut my own head off" fumble view again. Only in HW one get's more of the fumble's than in RQ. Does not hold.

> The rule about not needing to roll dice is only a game mechanical time
> saving device - there's no need to roll, it doesn't affect the plot, so
> let's not bog the game down with it. It is important not to confuse this
> with the rest of the game world - just because the referee says that a
> player with skill 12 doesn't have to roll their ability under ordinary
> circumstances, that doesn't mean that every character in the world with a
> skill of 12 always succeeds every day. They will fail 2 in 5 times. It's
> just that those 2 in 5 aren't important to the story.
>
> >When you cook you are backed up by our societys intricate and
> >advanced infrastructure. You have excellent cooking equipment
> >(at least +4 bonus),
>
> But the resistance gets a large bonus, because we have a sophisticated
> palette, and high expectations as to the quality and consistency of our
> food. If I sent you 300 years back in time to be served a meal in an
> average household kitchen, you would probably not enjoy it.

_But_ You will _not_ manage to poison your quests every 20th time. The food will just taste poor.

> >I'd say you don't need to roll if the conditions are normal
> >and you have the skill above default.
>
> Fair enough, that comes under the "no self-respecting hero" principle, and
> the fact that the minimum purchase above 6 is 12.

Yup.

> >If I had made my RQ players roll for riding every time
> >they set off, all the characters would have died falling
> >off their horses (even the ones with riding 70% or 80%).
>
> Since when did a maximum 6 pts damage ever kill anyone? And is every fumble
> a fall?

Get that 6 points on the head (or the chest for a smaller person) and he is either dead or dying (Dead if RQ2).

        -Adept