Spirit Talkers and Heortlings

From: Sarah Newton <sarah.newton_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 11:34:16 -0000

Hi everyone,

Me again - beavering away with my new HW campaign in Western Sartar. I have a question regarding spirits, spirit combat, and spirittalkers  in Sartar.

I've not really got to grips with the Animist rules yet - I'm playing principally in a Theist environment, getting to know how those rules work before branching out - otherwise I'm pretty sure I'll end up fudging something from the old RQ rules, which I'm not sure I want.

My question is this: there are Spirit-Talkers in Sartar. There are also plenty of spirits (!) - disease, passion, etc. How much truck does your average (Theist) Sartarite have with the Spirit-Talkers? Would, for example, a Sartarite who knew he was going up against a Malia nest (the situation in my campaign) approach a Spirit-Talker for some type of fetish-based aid? Would a (Theist) Sartarite ever contemplate, or rules-wise be able to, learn the Spirit Combat ability in the same way I believe some animist non-Shamans do? I can certainly imagine a game-world rationale for this, but rules-wise?

Frex, our Humakti know they're up against some pretty stiff Chaotic opposition, in the form of broos, bagogi, and worse. The enemy are all animists, and likely to be set up with some pretty stiff spirit support. All my understanding of the rules allows me to think at the mo is that the Humakti can merely attempt to resist the attacks of their disease, fear, madness, whatever spirits at the default 14, which never improves, and hope to bash the hell out of them with swords and stuff... Would these same Humakti ever consider approaching some mad Spirit-Talker in the mountains for a single-use (?)fetish of a Face Chaos passion spirit, or a Healing Spirit, or some such?

Forgive me if I sound muddled - it's clear that Kolati belong, however strangely, to the Heortling culture - it's their interaction with "mainstream" Heortling culture that I'm interested in.

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Sarah