Re: Digest Number 257

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 11:46:07 -0400

> >> "Sheepless Nights" actually uses this sort of skill, so let's take a
> >> look.
> >> A bunch of kids aged 8-12 have Shepherd 13
> >> A "proper" shepherd has Shepherd 3W and Herd 13W
> >
> >Was that the character that had been doing it most of his life?
> <snip>
> > -Adept
>
> Yes. This, I believe was Greg's argument. A professional skill you have
> been doing day-in, day-out for your whole life should be mastered.
>
> If you want a time limit I'd say at least ten years (the so called "10 year
> rule" in expertise research).
>
> Thom

Though I didn't really put it into the seenario, those kids were probably going to be cottars who herded sheep as much of their livlihood -- every clan has them. I think Herd Sheep is a cottar ability but Thorngast Sheepfoot had been doing the Sheep Thing for far too long -- long enough to get bitter. I think he was in his 30's. Just like most carls have Herd Cattle As Long As They Are Not Spooked. A herdsman would have Herd Cattle at Keyword levels. That's why you always bring along a herdsman or two when cattle raiding -- or learn a bit of the skill yourself.

Its only a single HP to add it to your character. Why fuss?

I gave them the skill because it seemed right.

Since he'd never really been an active man, he's not as good as he could be. That was/is his flaw -- he never applied himself.

Jeff